Whats the best a 9 or 18 carat gold ring? When you’re buying an antique or vintage ring have you ever wondered about the different carats of gold and which to choose? There is quite a prices difference between the two with a nine-carat gold ring being exactly half the price of an 18 carat gold ring with the same weight and design.
9 or 18 carat gold ring
What is 9 and 18 carat gold? These are different qualities of gold. They are pure 100% gold ( knows as 24 carats) which has been mixed with other metals. Pure gold is not suitable for jewellery as it is too soft and would wear away too quickly and so it is mixed up with the likes of copper and silver to give a metal that we can wear. The % of other metals mixed in gives us the carat. For example, 9 carat gold is 37.5% pure gold and 18 carats have twice as much pure gold in the mix.
You can often tell the which gold purity a ring is from the hallmarks if these are not present as with many pieces of antique and vintage jewellery then ask your favourite jeweller to test it for you.
Is 9 or 18 carat gold better for a ring? Now, this is an interesting question as “better” depends on the purpose you want the ring for. 18 carat is often considered better as it has more pure gold in it. Earlier I mentioned that pure gold is quite soft. As 18 carat gold has twice the amount of this in as nine carats it is a softer metal which means that for some people a nine carat gold is ” better”. Remember the carat of a ring does not influence its gold colour as much as the other metals mixed in – copper makes it a nice warm pinky colour is known as Rose Gold for example.
3 reasons to choose a 9 carat gold ring over an 18 carat gold one.
– Cost, all other things being equal a nine carat ring is much cheaper
– Durability, As it is made of a harder metal a nine carat ring will wear better. If you are intending to wear your ring on a daily basis for many years to come then a nine-carat gold ring will fair much better than and eighteen carat one. This may especially apply if your buying a gemstone ring as the prongs which hold the stones in place will be more secure.
– You are already wearing nine carat rings one the same finger or adjacent fingers. It’s important not to mix the different carats. An eighteen carat ring will wear away when on the same finger as a nine carat one or if they are next to each other on different fingers.
3 reasons to choose an 18 carat ring over a 9 carat one:
– 18 carat is seen as more luxurious and your ring is not for everyday wear
– Budget is not an issue, maybe a once in a lifetime purchase like and engagement ring
– Your skin is extra sensitive to other metals, a very few people can’t tolerate even the smallest amount of copper in the gold mix and they may be better off with higher carat golds. Do give nine carat a go though unless you are certain you have a metal allergy- my skin is very sensitive to most chemicals I tolerate this without any problems at all.
So what are you going to choose? A 9 or 18 carat gold ring? If your looking to buy an antique or vintage ring then there is a great selection on this website, take a look and you might just find one of them irresistible.
Anyone else like Highland cattle ? Took this today at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park https://t.co/dTAGTQoXb2Follow